Norway June 2019 Travel Retreat
Travel with Growing Edge Adventures to the top of the world – The Land of the Midnight Sun. This 13 day “Beyond Tourism” trip will bring you close to the beautiful, wild nature and culture of Norway while being in the comfort of the Hurtigruten, the mail boat that for 120 years have been a vital link between cities, towns and hamlets, carrying local passengers, freight and guests.
The seven-day voyage will take us from Bergen to Kirkenes (along the Russian border) with many stops along the way providing you the opportunities to explore and experience the best of what Norway has to offer. We will be crossing the Arctic Circle half way through the voyage. With the Midnight Sun and 24-hour daylight, you will experience the natural, unspoiled and endless beauty of the Norwegian coastline.
We will explore Oslo with its many sights and cultural highlights; take the world famous scenic train ride from Oslo to Bergen through the mountain region of Norway. We will spend one night and day in historic Bergen before we board the Hurtigruten for our sailing adventure.
The “Top of the World” trip is planned for the end of June 2017, as the midnight sun will be at it’s peak and the lighting at all the hours of the day will be very special. This Growing Edge Adventures travel retreat includes:
- Voyage for 7 days on the newest, most comfortable ship with upgraded cabins on the outside to ensure your optimal comfort and views.. 3 meals a day is included.
- An excursion to Nordkapp (North Cape) by bus- the furthest north you can access in Europe crossing the 71st parallel (Arctic circle is 66 degrees)
- Train fare from Oslo to Bergen
- Airfare from Kirkenes to Oslo
- 5 nights in hotels w/ breakfast
- All GroupTransfers to and from Airports, Train stations and Boat docks.
- Entrance fees to Museums and cultural sights in Oslo as well as bus, tram and ferry fares during our days in Oslo.
There are many optional excursions available, but not included in this preliminary cost. Lunch and dinners in Oslo and Bergen are on your own.
- Day 1: Leave U.S., fly to Oslo NO
- Day 2: Arrive in Oslo in am. Explore Oslo ,get adjusted to time difference.
- Day 3: At noon, embark on scenic train to Bergen. Arrive in Bergen in the evening.
- Day 4: Explore Bergen, eat lunch at the famous fish market. In the late afternoon board the Hurtigruten for our first day/ night of the voyage.
- Days 5-9: Explore the coast of Norway via Hurtigruten including Geirangerfjord a UNESCO World Heritage site, Trondheim with Norway’s largest Cathedral built beginning in 1070AD, Tromso, also called “Paris of the North”, North Cape and much, much more.
- Day 10: Arrive in Kirkenes, by the Russian border, 9:45am. Explore Kirkenes, then fly to Oslo.
- Day 11: A short ferry ride to Bygdoy. Visit the Kon Tiki museum and Fram museum. Back in Oslo we will visit the Opera house to see it’s architechtural wonder. Spend time experiencing the city on your own, from a side walk café, shopping, or wander the streets in this safe and interesting city.
- Day 12: Explore Frognerparken, Peace museum, Royal Palace. Shopping at your leisure.
- Day 13: Fly back to the U.S.